Please call The Office of Human Resources at tel: 202-319-5050 for additional information.
Application for the 2015-2016 Academic Year is Now Posted!
The application is due no later than Friday, October 10, 2014 to the Office of Human Resources (170 Leahy Hall). The guidelines limit the program to children of regular full-time employees of CUA who have worked full-time for at least two continuous years prior to the commencement of the academic year for which the eligible student dependent would initiate his/her studies.
2014-2015 CUA Holiday Calendar
Child Care Resources for CUA Employees
As a CUA employee, you are automatically enrolled and eligible to tap into the many resources and benefits provided by the University's employee assistance program, Carebridge. For more information regarding child care resources, please visit our Staff Resources page.
Revised Form I-9 - New, Effective March 2013
This is a reminder that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services has revised the Form I-9. The revised Form I-9 (revision date of 03/03/2013 in the bottom left hand corner) is available for immediate use. Form I-9's with the revision date of 02/02/09 and 08/07/09 will only be accepted until May 7th, 2013. As an ongoing reminder, the current Form I-9 is always available on the Forms and Applications page of the HR website. If you have any questions regarding the employment eligibility verification process or the new Form I-9, please feel free to contact the Office of Human Resources at tel: 202-319-5050.
Payroll and Benefit Plan Updates for 2013
- The Social Security Wage Base limit will increase from $110,100 to $113,700 on January 1, 2013. The employee withholding rate of 4.2% is set to expire on December 31, 2012. Congress is currently negotiating a deal to extend the middle-class tax cuts. Until a deal is reached, the expectation is the withholding rate will return to 6.2% on January 1, 2013.
- The IRS has announced the business standard mileage rate for transportation will increase to $0.565 per mile. The mileage rate for moving purposes will increase to $0.24 per mile. These rates become effective on January 1, 2013, and remain in place until December 31, 2013.
- Employees who have filed "exempt" from federal tax should be reminded the exemption expires annually on December 31st. To renew the exemption, a new Form W-4 must be submitted to the Payroll Office by February 28, 2013. Failure to do so will result in federal withholding status and exemptions resetting to Single-0.
- International students and scholars governed by tax treaty benefits should be reminded the exemption expires annually on December 31st. To renew the tax treaty exemptions, a new Form 8233 must be submitted to the Payroll Office no later than March 15, 2013. Failure to do so will result in federal withholding status and exemptions resetting to Single-0. You are encouraged to visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services or the IRS for additional guidance.
- If you have moved in 2012, please complete and submit an Employee Data Form (EDF) to the Office of Human Resources as soon as possible. The form can be found on the website at http://humanresources.cua.edu/forms/index.cfm. Incorrect addresses can prevent or delay the delivery of paper W-2 documents. All tax forms and other important information can be found on the website at http://treasurer.cua.edu/Payroll/tax.cfm.
- Employees can defer $17,500 of income into the 430(b) plan in calendar year 2013. If an employee is age 50 or older in calendar year 2013, an employee can defer an additional $5,500 for a maximum deferral of $23,000.
- Employees who wish to change a 403(b) election must complete a new form. Once the form is received and approved, it will become effective the first of the following month. Election changes for January 1, 2013 must be received in the HR office - Room 170 Leahy - no later than 5:00PM on the 21st of December to be effective in January of 2013. The election change form can be found at this link: http://humanresources.cua.edu/benefits/retirement.cfm.
SmartBenefits: Beginning January 1, 2014
CUA has established a $130 maximum per month for transit and $250 for parking. Please complete a Salary Reduction Authorization form and submit it to the Office of Human Resources.
Announcing New Mandatory Training - Compliance Awareness
As of June 1, 2011 all CUA faculty, staff and student workers were asked to complete FERPA Awareness (protecting student academic privacy) and Harassment Prevention (fostering an environment of respect and fairness) training. A third training -- Compliance Awareness is now available. Compliance Awareness Training focuses on educating the CUA community on regulatory risks in common University activities and the resources in place to help avoid such risks.
New Employee Orientation 2014
Newly hired staff are required to complete orientation at the beginning of their employment. Orientation occurs every other Thursday in Leahy Conference Room 100 from 10:00am to 2:15pm. There is a one hour lunch break at 12:00pm. Contact your HR representative if you have any questions.
2014 New Employee Orientation Schedule
TIAA-CREF Counseling Sessions - 2015
A representative from TIAA-CREF will be on the CUA campus to provide one-on-one counseling sessions for employees on:
Wednesday February 11, 2015
Thursday March 12, 2015
Thursday April 9, 2015
Thursday May 14, 2015
Thursday June 11, 2015
While the sessions are free, an appointment is required. Please call the Meeting Request Center number at tel: 1-800- 732-8353 to schedule an appointment. If you have any questions regarding the counseling session, or would like more information about your CUA retirement benefits, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 202-319-5050. All sessions will take place from 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM Pryzbyla Center, Room 331, unless otherwise noted.
Students, faculty, and staff are invited to attend classes offered by the Eugene I. Kane Student Health and Fitness Center. Spring 2014 Class Schedule available now! For more information, contact Wendy White, Fitness Director, at tel: 202-319-5705 or email@example.com.
Personnel Requisition Form (PRF) has a New User-friendly Training Section
Our Personnel Requisition form (PRF) now includes a new “Training” section. For those supervisors and managers who are accustomed to discussing their training needs after they have updated their position description and submitted a PRF, the delay is over. You will now have the ability to indicate your training needs ahead of time. The new training section will allow you to check-mark a general pre-determined list of training items and activities already in place. Don’t see your training need? Let us know! The Office of Human Resources will continue to be on hand to assist you. For more information, contact us or call our main office at tel: 202-319-5050.
Annual University Service Awards Dinner
The annual 10 and 20 Year Service Awards Dinner will be held this academic year on Tuesday, November 15, 2011. At the dinner the president pays special tribute, and thanks those university staff and faculty who have provided ten or twenty years of continuous service to the community. Those to be honored this year will have been employed full-time at the University for ten or twenty continuous years beginning on September 1, 1991 and September 1, 2001, respectively. Invitation to this year's honorees, along with faculty and staff who have previously celebrated their twenty years of service and continue to serve the university community, have been mailed to their campus addresses. If you believe that you qualify to be honored at this year's dinner and do not receive an invitation by the end of October, please contact the President's Office at tel: 202-319-5100.
For further information, contact Suzanne McCarthy, assistant vice president for university relations for university events at tel: 202-319-5100 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Tuition Assistance Policy Revised
Faculty and staff who participate in the CUA Tuition Assistance benefit are asked to thoroughly review the newly revised policy.
For more information, contact Tamika Hainsworth in the Office of Human Resources at tel: 202-319-5107 or call the Human Resources Office at tel: 202-319-4172.
Notice to Exempt Employees Regarding Change to Vacation Policy
As you may be aware, the revised vacation policy allows exempt employees to carry over up to a maximum of 21 days into the next fiscal year. All carry over vacation days in excess of seven must be used by August 15th within the new vacation year. Any days remaining in excess of the seven allowable carry over days will be forfeited as of August 15th and not carried forward.
Because of this change, beginning in September, your "Start Balance" will include all hours that were accrued between May 1 and August 31, plus up to the seven days of allowable carry over. At this same time, your "Earned Year to Date" will include hours that were accrued September 1 through April 30. Please note that your "End Balance" will continue to reflect your available leave. Please feel free to contact the Office of Human Resources at tel: 202-319-5050 with any questions.
Federal and District of Columbia Labor Law Posters
Federal and District of Columbia Labor law posters are now available for viewing on line, in addition to being posted on campus. Please click on the following links or visit the Forms and Applications page to open a PDF of these posters.
Please contact HR at tel: 202-319-5050 with any questions.